Reporting broken symlinks to clients

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 17:00:48 MDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Ira Cooper <ira at samba.org> wrote:
> One of the simpler use cases is removal of a directory recursively.  If
> there's a symlink in the directory the windows client can't find.  It can't
> remove it, and then it can't remove the directory.
>
> -Ira

If I'm understanding this correctly, you're saying that you'd like
Windows clients to throw an error during an "rm -rf" when the symlink
doesn't resolve?  I understand the idea behind it, but that's exactly
the kind of stuff that drives me crazy when I walk away from a long
running process (in this case a large delete from the top level) and
Windows has halted in its tracks early because an exception occurred.

Why would we want this?  The link doesn't go anywhere, so let it be
deleted.  Handle the invalid input as you normally would, disregard it
if it doesn't have a side effect.  Am I out of line with this line of
thinking?

--
Peace and Blessings,
-Scott.