Reporting broken symlinks to clients

Christof Schmitt christof.schmitt at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 14 16:27:42 MDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:37:24PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > This could be useful in environments where the same directory is
> > accessible to Windows clients and to Linux/Unix systems. When a
> > broken symlink is created, the Windows clients would at least be able
> > to see that there is a file.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> What is the goal of presenting the broken links to the Windows clients ?
>
> I'm trying to understand the use case here.

I will try to get some more details. The main point would be that the
client sees that a file exists, even if it is not accessible. If i
remember correctly, this is from an application that accesses the same
share through cifs and nfs, the links are only valid on the nfs client
systems, and the existence of the symbolic link is used to determine
the behaviour of the application.

--
Christof Schmitt || IBM || SONAS System Development || Tucson, AZ
christof.schmitt at us.ibm.com  ||  +1-520-799-2469  (T/L: 321-2469)