FSRVP with Snapper problem

Teng-Feng Yang shinrairis at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 05:49:30 MDT 2013

Hi,

I checkout the source code from git://git.samba.org/ddiss/samba
async_fsrvp_srv_wip_xp2013 to try the remote snapshot feature.
I setup an ubuntu workstation as the storage server and AD DC and use
the diskshadow.exe utility provided by a Windows Server 2012 which
joins the AD.
It works perfectly when I share a btrfs volume via samba with btrfs
and shadow_copy vfs modules hooked on it.
However, when I use the similar approach to share a dm-thin volume
with snapper and gmt_token vfs modules, I cannot take snapshot from
Windows Server remotely.
In the meantime, I have also tried to take remote snapshots via
rpcclient, and it works like a charm.
I trace the log dumped by samba, and find something that might be the problem.
It looks like when I try to take snapshot from diskshadow.exe, the
samba will verify the access right of both <AD account> and < Computer
Name of Windows server >.
Although I have put both <AD account> and <Windows computer name> into
"Backup Operators" AD group, it turns out that the dbus connection
will fail(timeout) when vfs_snapper calls snapper_dbus_conn() in
snapper_snap_check_path().
The error message in log file is: "/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: dbus
connection error: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include:
the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security
policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network
connection was broken."

Any comment would be grateful.

Thanks!

--