How much should we work around buggy Solaris/OpenIndiana/Illumos > 16 groups bugs?

Ira Cooper ira at samba.org
Mon Jun 10 13:41:48 MDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 02:37:37PM -0400, Ira Cooper wrote:
> > Can someone point me at the actual illumos issue that was raised in their
> > bug tracker?
>
> https://www.illumos.org/issues/3577
>
> I pinged one of the Illumos folks about this, but they're
> a bit busy.
>
> > I know Andrew raised one, but as I remember, that one wandered off track.
> >
> > This is very specific, and I'd guess most illumos devs could fix it
> > promptly.  Heck, if it stops people from being as Jeremy so nicely put it
> > "completely sanctimonious
> > pricks", it's something I can probably do.
> >
> > But, that said, there ARE broken systems, and there will be broken
> systems,
> > so some workaround will be needed... and probably for a long time given
> the
> > lifetime of Solaris systems.
> >
> > So detecting it might be nice...  Can someone "detect" it if I "fix" it.
>
> Only as root I think. IMHO you should fix it for Illumos,
> and we should add the workaround to Samba.

If you are building illumos, try this patch, and remove the qsort.  The
problem should go away, if I understand the code right.

If not, can you please hand me solid reproduction code, and I'll "get it
right".  We can then attach this patch to the bug, and talk to them about
RTI.  (Getting it committed.)

Thanks,

-Ira