The wrapper fun!

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Fri Jun 7 05:37:21 MDT 2013

On Friday 07 June 2013 21:24:31 Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-06-07 at 13:19 +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> > On Friday 07 June 2013 11:14:42 Andreas Schneider wrote:
> > > Hi list,
> > >
> > > just for your interest, I've made all wrappers LD_PRELOADable.
> > >
> > > http://git.cryptomilk.org/projects/uid_wrapper.git/
> > > http://git.cryptomilk.org/projects/nss_wrapper.git/
> > > http://git.cryptomilk.org/projects/socket_wrapper.git/
> > >
> > > They all have a testsuite now. There are still features missing
> > > (recvmsg()
> > > in socket_wrapper e.g.) and the testsuites need to be improved too but
> > > it
> > > works ...
> > >
> > > I've also have a working syscall() wrapper, w00t!
> > >

> > > I've started to change 'make test' to use uid_wrapper but it doesn't
> > > really
> > > work yet.
> >
> > I had a bug in uid_wrapper. It's working!!!!
>
> So now we can either run 'make test' with --enable-selftest and without?

Now you can run it with optimized binaries.

> I wouldn't want us to rely on LD_PRELOAD totally (very
> platform-dependent), but being able to test the binaries that a
> distribution such as debian or Fedora ship, which shouldn't be compiled
> with --enable-sefltest is a really big win!

On which platforms, we support with Samba 4.0 on, does LD_PRELOAD not work?

My patch currently removes it from the samba tree and relies on LD_PRELOAD
libraries.

> Beyond that, I look forward to being able to test things like bind, as
> well as being able to force system libraries via socket_wrapper, so we
> don't feel the need to reimplement them all.  (could allow testing of a
> future MIT krb5 based Samba AD KDC).

The MIT KRB5 based Samba AD is one of the reasons I did this :)

> Well done!

Thanks! nss_wrapper next ...

	-- andreas

--
Andreas Schneider                   GPG-ID: F33E3FC6
Samba Team                             asn at samba.org
www.samba.org