DNS - differences between internal and Bind9?

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Thu Jun 6 02:14:50 MDT 2013

On 2013-06-05 20:27, Charles Tryon wrote:

Hi Charles,

> One other specific capability that I was wondering about was secure DNS
> updates.  The information I had from May of last year was that the
> internal DNS server was not capable of handling secure updates from
> clients.  Has this been fixed by now?  I don't see it mentioned above
> one way or the other, though it sounds from the Wiki page that it is
> working (even if it produces error messages).

Secure updates are working*, and enabled by default in the 4.0 release
series.

* As Günter Kukkukk diagnosed, the internal DNS isn't calculating the
cryptographic signature of replies correctly, causing nsupdate to print
an error message. The updates itself work fine, though.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin