[patch] make the logging header customisable

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jun 5 05:28:52 MDT 2013

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 10:06:26AM -0700, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Find attached an updated version of this, feedback and review welcome.
>

> On 06/12/2012 01:27 AM, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> >Hello Volker & all,
> >
> >A couple of months ago we briefly discussed on the possibility to
> >have a header printed even if we log on the stdout because with
> >more than 1 process logging it can be a bit tedious sometime to
> >understand who print what.
> >My understanding was that you were more or less ok with this idea
> >but that instead of adding a simple boolean to say "add headers
> >also when logging to stdout" you proposed me (at least that was my
> >understanding) to be able to specify the header that we want to
> >have.
> >I've been working on this lately and come with the following patch
> >for the 3.5.x branch, it seems to work ok as if the "debug header
> >template" parameter is not specified the header is as it was
> >(which means no header in case of logging to stdout) but if you
> >specify it then it will be as specified.
> >
> >For the moment the patch is for 3.5.14 as it's what we use at my
> >work and it helps us during the QA and dev debug, it didn't apply
> >yet to master but I'll do the job of front port if the idea of the
> >patch is ok (and if it's also at least mostly ok).

Can you do a forward port to master so I can help
work on it ? I think this is a good idea but I'm not
100% happy with the implementation (the char [200] fixed
size buffer on the stack makes me nervous :-) and I
don't have time to do my own forward port right now.

I certainly think this is along the right lines though.

Cheers,

	Jeremy.