Is there some way to force winbindd to use msrpc rather than ads?

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 13:04:53 MDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 10:13 PM, Volker Lendecke
<Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 09:25:07PM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I am having a problem were we cannot use ADS for querying the DCs but
>> winbinds seems to always want to do that. This causes the following
>> problems:
>
> winbind rpc only = yes

Thank you. This works, but there is one unusual aspect.

On two machines with the same code I see differing results when I use
'wbinfo -i SOMEDOM\\someuser'.

While authentication now works (when it didn't before adding that
parameter) on one machine the above wbinfo command works for all the
cases I have tried, while on the other machine it does not work for
any account. It gives me:

failed to call wbcGetpwnam: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
Could not get info for user CENSORED_DOM\CENSORED_USER

The user does, however, exist, and the domain and user used are the
same on each machine.

Why might this be? Does the wbinfo command use different pathways than
what smbd does?

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe