Improving how we work with external contributors: Make double-reviews optional in review trial

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jul 31 15:16:19 MDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 01:36:16PM +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Certainly I've almost ceased actively applying patches from external
> contributors - with other calls on my time, the additional burden here
> means I've left to others what I was previously actively merging.

I still prefer two Team eyes on all code changes.

My workflow has changed. I now regard patch reviews as my
number one activity, and only work on my own new code once
my review queue is empty.

I think any Team member who is paid full-time to work on
Samba should also make this change.

Team members who are not working full-time on Samba (Kai,
Jelmer etc.) should not be expected to do this (as the
time they have to create code is more valuable for them
as it's not their primary job).

This means you, me, Metze, Volker, Michael (and the
rest of the SerNet Team :-) Andreas, David, Guenther,
(apologies if I've forgotten anyone else :-) etc. should
be doing the heavy lifting on external patch reviews.

I think we have enough people to do it if we make
reviews more of a priority.

Just my 2 cents :-).

Jeremy