BUG Commit Message

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Fri Jul 12 05:09:30 MDT 2013

Hi Andreas,

> could we try to use the same scheme in the commit message for fixing bugs?
>
> 	BUG XXXX: Short comment

I think the but number is not the most important thing to know about a
commit.

e.g.

BUG 9994: Do not delete an existing valid credential cache.

says nothing without looking at bugzilla or the diff.

I think it's much more important to begin the line with the subsystem
of the change (that's what I typically use and it's also what the linux
kernel seems to use).

It's nice to have a bug number as additional information in the first line,
but I'm not sure I like it to be the first thing I notice.

I typically use something like this:

s3:librpc: add support for PFC_FLAG_OBJECT_UUID when parsing packets
(bug #9382)

metze