authentication issue with samba4 as a member server

Davor Vusir davor.vusir at live.se
Sun Jul 7 09:38:41 MDT 2013

Hi Jean!

Is the NetBIOS name of the Windows 2003 AD 'OPENCHANGE'? And its dns
domain/realm name is openchange.local?

The output from your domain provision states that the NetBIOS name of the
domain is 'SOGO', not 'OPENCHANGE' which you passed as an argument. Is this
right?

Is the domain sid you get from the domain provision the same as the Windows
2003 AD? Check it out with PSGetSID.exe. Here's an old goodie that might
help you:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-ntdom/2001-November/020829.html.

Later you join the domain 'OPENCHANGE'; samba-tool tells you that it was a
successful domain join and also shows the SID belonging to the domain
joined. This SID differs from the domain provisioned earlier. Is this SID
belonging to the Windows 2003 AD?

You extend the Samba4 AD Schema with OpenChange Schema and do an initial
test which fails.
The user account test also fails. Is this an account belonging to the Samba4
AD or Windows 2003 AD?

The netlogon log clearly says that there isn't a match between the password
for the computer account in the Windows 2003 AD(?) and the stored password
on server sogo.openchange.local. Does the computer account 'sogo' exist? In
which domain?

Does smb.conf and krb5.conf correlate with the Windows 2003 AD or with the
Samba 4 AD?
Which name server is sogo.openchange.local using? Correct me if I'm wrong
but not stating a DNS-backend during domain provision, isn't that the same
as '--dns-backend=SAMBA_INTERNAL'? Maybe you should use
'--dns-backend=NONE'.

I'm actually quite surprised that it's possible to provision a domain with
the parameter '--server-role' set to 'MEMBER'. A member server cannot act as
a domain controller and yet you are able to provision a domain. Both
Jonathan Buzzard (mail from 20130701) and Ricky Nance (mail from 20130702)
explains the differences very well.

As I see it you have sucessfully provisioned a Samba4 AD, added OpenChange
Schema and joined a domain called 'OPENCHANGE'. Which one? The server
sogo.openchange.local is a member server that has a copy of an OpenChange
extended Samba4 AD but only shares netlogon and sysvol. But does not act as
a domain controller. Or you do actually have got two (2) Active Directories,
the defunct(?) Samba 4 AD and the Windows 2003 AD, with the same NetBIOS-
and realmname.

I don't think that you ever will get this configuration to work. The
original AD (Windows 2003 AD) has to be extended with the OpenChange Schema
and the Samba AD DS has to be joined to the domain as an additional domain
controller (or vice versa). But it is quite an interesting setup, though. It
resembles the concept of resource domains. If OpenChange permits, I think
you should explore that; one or more domains with user accounts with a trust
to the (resource) OpenChange-domain.

Regards
Davor