[Samba] Samba Domain Rename

Ricky Nance ricky.nance at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 09:07:18 MDT 2013

Like Michael said, samba 4 as an AD DC would probably not be happy if you
just change the 'workgroup = ' line in your smb.conf (as a matter of fact,
that line shouldn't exist in a AD DC setup in my opinion) the domain is
more than likely embedded very deep inside of the LDB's, and I would
strongly recommend against changing those, however, with sufficient backups
and lots of luck you might be successful in changing it (look into
ldbsearch and ldbedit if you are really REALLY brave). I think even
changing every instance in the LDB's  however will still not work, as
during provision the machine joins itself to the domain (yes it joins
itself to itself if I recall right). I would try to avoid this at all
costs, but if you must do it, starting over may be your best option.

Just my thoughts,
Ricky