Restructuring the wiki/documentation - was: Samba AD DC Howto 'make over'

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Mon Jan 28 09:25:47 MST 2013

Hello,

Am 21.01.2013 05:26, schrieb Ricky Nance:
> Hey guys, I re-structured the wiki a bit, if you like the changes, we can
> make it replace the existing wiki, if not let me know what to fix. I think
> some users (including myself) were finding the existing wiki a bit
> overwhelming and with package managers getting updates just around the
> corner I think this will play a bit nicer with new users. Please give me
> feedback on this!
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO_TEMP

I think this a good start for new users. I also think that the HowTo should be
minimized to the bare setup of the ADC. And most of the additional information
you already took out.

Some days ago I restructured the
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4

If this would be the future main startup page for all users, there should be
linked anything else that wouldn't be part of the HowTo any more. I grouped it
for the start into ADC, Member Server an Development. But I think an
"miscellaneous" section should take links to other howtos that aren't specific
to one of the 3 groups I had already created, like printing, Single Sign On,...

But currently I'm a bit unhappy with the whole structuring of the wiki. Most
articles are placed somewhere and there's no real global structure. If the
wiki and the articles where brought into a more categorized structure, it's
easier for new writers to place their documents on better places:

index.php
+--index.php/ADC
|  +-- index.php/ADC/ADC_HowTo
|  +-- index.php/ADC/DNS
|  |   +-- index.php/ADC/DNS/Setting_up_bind_with_samba4
|  +-- index.php/ADC/Migrating_to_samba_AD
|  +-- index.php/ADC/Joining_windows_clients .....
|  +-- index.php/ADC/...
+--index.php/Member_Server
|  +-- index.php/Member_Server/Setup_samba_as_member_server_HowTo
|  +-- index.php/Member_Server/...
+--index.php/Miscellaneous
|  +-- index.php/Miscellaneous/Samba_as_print_server
|  +-- index.php/Miscellaneous/...
+--index.php/...

This is just a first short tought about it. But I think maybe it's not a good
idea to have many howtos below index.php/Samba4/... When some day 4.1 or 5 is
out then this all have to be moved and not only updated. Then the wiki could
be always a place for documentation that works with the latest version. And
for howtos that are especially for some old version, an extra place could be
created.

What do you all think about that? If you like the basic idea or have comments,
I can try drawing a basic tree as draft during the next time. And on moving
and relinking I could help to.

Regards,
Marc