FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT should return STATUS_NOT_A_REPARSE_POINT on any Create request, surely?

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 12:26:43 MST 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 09:53:09AM -0800, Richard Sharpe wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> it turns out that there is a program called linkd.exe in the resource
>> kit. This program seems to succeed but gives interesting results.
>>
>> I suspect that this is because create_file_default should check
>> create_options for FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT and return
>> STATUS_NOT_A_REPARSE_POINT at some time once we have determined that
>> the file exists, or it should return STATUS_OPERATION_NOT_SUPPORTED.
>
> Let's get a list of protocol operations we want to
> test and get code into smbtorture to check this, then
> we can fix up the server.

Actually, I withdraw the suggestion. It actually causes all sorts of
problems with Windows to return a status code like that, and tools
like mklink actually do things correctly.

The fundamental problem is that we do not support reparse points. If
we did, obscure broken tools like linkd.exe would also work.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe