Samba 4.0.0 to 4.0.1 migration

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 07:50:36 MST 2013

Hi

On 22 January 2013 16:24, bogdan_bartos <admin at blackpenguin.org> wrote:
> I cannot re-run the make install because I wiped the old install. I just have
> the backup. I installed a new OS - Fedora 18 and compiled samba 4. The
> backup cannot be restored since samba is not loading some modules. I could
> always recompile samba 4.0.0 and probably get things running, but that kind
> of defeats the purpose of getting an "update". So I have no fix for it. I
> just hope samba 4.0.2 will attempt to fix this. If this is a bug...

I think you have misunderstood Andrew's answer.

When you initially installed Samba 4.0.0, presumably you compiled it
and then ran "make install", after which you provisioned a domain or
something like that.

So, to upgrade to samba 4.0.1, you should only have to compile samba
4.0.1 and then run make install again (after stopping samba 4.0.0, of
course).

If you have only a backup, then you should be able to restore the
backup and then compile samba 4.0.1 and run make install and
everything should just work...  unless perhaps the backup is broken or
incomplete.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>