Status of WMI in Samba 4?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Jan 22 07:02:54 MST 2013

On Mon, 2013-01-21 at 15:52 -0800, Dexter.Aronstam wrote:
> I'm currently looking at implementing some simple Hyper-V management via
> WMI from Linux. The only implementation that I can seem to find is from an
> early branch of the Samba 4 code. It looks like some of this was used in
> the Zenoss management tool.
>
> A previous post<http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2010-January/068656.html>from
> Jelmer Vernooij on Jan 6th, 2010 gave the impression that this wasn't
> a high priority, but that the code was now back in the master branch.
>
> With the recent 4.0 release, has there been any change of WMI or DCOM
> support?
No, there hasn't been any recent change in the WMI or DCOM/COM support.
As far as I know it doesn't work in its current state anymore.

Full-fledged DCOM support would be a huge task. The code that we have at
the moment is the bare minimum to get WMI working - a tiny subset of
(D)COM. It should be possible for somebody who is interested and has
some spare time to get the WMI client working again.

I very much doubt I'll have time to get back to the DCOM/WMI code myself
in the forseeable future.

Cheers,

Jelmer