Internal DNS not resolving

Ricky Nance ricky.nance at weaubleau.k12.mo.us
Fri Jan 18 06:54:11 MST 2013

First thing to help us out is, what samba version are you running (samba
-V) ? Next, if name resolution is working properly, you don't need to add
the hosts line (I don't remember that being mentioned anywhere in the
wiki). If you are running X windows on that machine, there is a chance that
networkmanager has changed your resolv.conf. Also, its a good idea to check
that samba is actually serving out the DNS as it should be, (netstat -anp |
grep "LISTEN " | grep 53) after samba is started should be helpful for
that, if something else is using that port it will try to do the resolution
instead of samba.

Good luck,
Ricky