Make winbind use epoll where available

Thu Jan 17 13:08:13 MST 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 09:52:20AM -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 04:57:26PM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Attached find a patchset to make winbind use the standard
> > tevent_context_init function which uses epoll where
> > available. Before this winbind would always do poll. Ran a
> > successful private autobuild.
> >
> > One customer test brought winbind from 100% CPU over minutes
> > down to barely being seen in "top" for obvious reasons.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> Is it worth making samba, smbd and nmbd also do this ?

Yes. "samba" already does. nmbd, I don't know if that is
such a performance-sensitive thing these days. smbd: Yes,
worth converting. But the gain is not much, smbd does not
listen on as many sockets as winbind has to. Worth doing
eventually, but we have "bigger fish to fry"...

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de