Roughly how many users should Samba 4.0 be able to handle?

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 07:47:43 MST 2013

Hi

I'm trying to get an idea of how many users a Samba 4.0 server should be
able to handle.

In the past (one of the alphas) I tried adding about 40000 users and Samba
slowed to a crawl.  I can't remember the details.  Just that I had to roll
back to by last backup to fix the performance again.

I've compiled 4.0.1 and am busy adding 5000 users to my 1200 existing users
(but on a test machine) to see what happens, but if anyone is running Samba
4.0 with large numbers of users I'd like to hear about it.

Also, I know Matthieu's been working on optimising the ldb indexing code.
Has that made it to master yet?  And any other performance work since 4.0.0
was released?

Thanks.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>