CTDB and the road ahead.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Mon Jan 14 16:27:52 MST 2013

On 01/14/2013 05:06 PM, Amitay Isaacs wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 6:09 AM, Christopher R. Hertel <crh at ubiqx.mn.org>wrote:
>
>> Amitay, et. al.,
>>
>> I need to get a sense of where CTDB is going.  My initial understanding of
>> the 2.0 release was that it was meant to pull together a number of
>> disparate patches and become the solid foundation for further development.
>>   When I speak to different people, however, I get different feedback.  I
>> also understand that there may be some personal repositories scattered
>> about.
>>
>> So I'm confused.  Help me (and Samba vendors and users) understand at a
>> basic level what the plans are and which code base we should be using.
>>

> CTDB 2.0 was mainly to abandon the old and confusing numbering scheme.

Good idea.  :)

> So
> CTDB branch 1.13 (CTDB version 1.44) is now completely defunct and should
> not be used. I would prefer to do regular releases of CTDB 2.x (time
> permitting). Currently 2.x releases are done from master which makes it
> easier to manage.

With my vendor hat on (and you know what color that is), I need to be able
to identify a release of CTDB to ship with products.  I can back-port fixes,
as needed, but I need a foundation from which to work.

With my developer's hat on, I have been digging into the code to familiarize
myself with it so that I can contribute more.

> As for the direction of CTDB, there are plenty of things to do. My current
> focus is on identifying race conditions and fixing them. For some of the
> workloads CTDB does not perform very well, so will continue to work on
> those. Currently there is no well defined libctdb for client applications
> to use, so work is needed in that area as well. Also if we can figure out a
> way of running samba autobuild tests on a CTDB cluster, that would improve
> the integration (ctdb+samba) testing considerably. These are just some of
> the areas. May be others can identify more.

I am interested in the libctdb piece, and testing.

> So as you can see there is lots to do. :-) Any contributions are welcome!

Most all all, I want to make sure that CTDB is nicely polished for use in
Samba cluster products.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org