Further Samba Releases

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Mon Jan 14 03:35:39 MST 2013

Hi Frank,

> Since Samba 4.0.0 was just released few weeks ago with Active Directory
> support, I was curious what the future of Samba may bring. Samba seems to
> be migrating from a file server into a Windows Server replacement. It can
> already handle Active Directory and incorporates an internal DNS server,
> WINS server, LDAP server, and Kerberos server just to name a few. Is Samba
> going to move even further into the server world and create a more well
> rounded Windows Server replacement by implementing functions like DHCP and

If someone provides a patch we may include a dhcp service, but it's not
planed.

> so forth?
> Just curious what the future of Samba holds :)

The main goals for the future are:
- implementing SMB 3.0 features
- add/fix missing AD features
- add support for AD SYSVOL replication
- maybe add support for group policies as client
- performance improvements in AD and the file server parts

metze