Samba 4 is going to kill me!

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jan 10 19:30:14 MST 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-10 at 07:31 -0800, jimc wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have been arguing with Samba 4 since October ninth. I have not been
> able to get it to work.

I take it that you have been following
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO to the letter, using a
copy of the Samba 4.0.0 tarball?

> I have tried Mint, Ubuntu, and I am currently running opensuse.

Samba issues are (almost) never the result of the distribution, if you
build from source, and I would never recommend flipping whole
distributions while trying to debug an issue, unless a developer
indicates a specific incomparability.

> I follow the directions on the system requirements and ad how-to,
> starting on a brand new install.
>
> The compile seems to go alright, and the provisioning as well.
>
> When I get to step 5, all hell seems to break loose.

Can you have me more details on exactly how you adapted the steps in the
HOWTO to your specific install?

What exact commands did you run, and what exactly was the output?

Have you tried running the commands exactly, as a demonstration?

> I am so frustrated I am tempted to go back to
> that-who's-name-must-not-be-spoken.

You should use whatever software you best feels suites your
requirements.

> Here is the output from samba -i.
>
> Gekko:~/Documents # /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba -i
> samba version 4.0.0 started.
> Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2012
> samba: using 'standard' process model
> Failed to find object DC=ozco for attribute fsmoRoleOwner - Cannot find
> attribute fsmoRoleOwner of DC=ozco to calculate reference dn
> task_server_terminate: [kdc: hdb_samba4_create_kdc (setup KDC database)
> failed]
> ERROR: talloc_free with references at ../source4/smbd/process_standard.c:199
>          reference at ../source4/auth/kerberos/krb5_init_context.c:567
> task_server_terminate: [dreplsrv: Failed to load partitions:
> WERR_DS_DRA_INTERNAL_ERROR
> ]
> task_server_terminate: [Cannot start Winbind (domain controller): Failed
> to find record for OZCO in /usr/local/samba/private/secrets.ldb: No such
> object: (null): Have you provisioned the OZCO domain?]

I'm really wondering if you have provisioned correctly as a domain
controller.  Have you specified the correct realm (dns domain name) and
netbios name?