Samba 4 is going to kill me!

jimc jwizardc at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 08:31:57 MST 2013

Hi!

I have been arguing with Samba 4 since October ninth. I have not been
able to get it to work.

I have tried Mint, Ubuntu, and I am currently running opensuse.

I follow the directions on the system requirements and ad how-to,
starting on a brand new install.

The compile seems to go alright, and the provisioning as well.

When I get to step 5, all hell seems to break loose.

I am so frustrated I am tempted to go back to
that-who's-name-must-not-be-spoken.

Here is the output from samba -i.

Gekko:~/Documents # /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba -i
samba version 4.0.0 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2012
samba: using 'standard' process model
Failed to find object DC=ozco for attribute fsmoRoleOwner - Cannot find
attribute fsmoRoleOwner of DC=ozco to calculate reference dn
task_server_terminate: [kdc: hdb_samba4_create_kdc (setup KDC database)
failed]
ERROR: talloc_free with references at ../source4/smbd/process_standard.c:199
         reference at ../source4/auth/kerberos/krb5_init_context.c:567
task_server_terminate: [dreplsrv: Failed to load partitions:
WERR_DS_DRA_INTERNAL_ERROR
]
task_server_terminate: [Cannot start Winbind (domain controller): Failed
to find record for OZCO in /usr/local/samba/private/secrets.ldb: No such
object: (null): Have you provisioned the OZCO domain?]
task_server_terminate: [Failed to obtain server credentials, perhaps a
standalone server?: NT_STATUS_CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO
]
/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate: Traceback (most recent call last):
/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate:   File
"/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate", line 445, in <module>
/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate:     file = open(dns_update_list, "r")
/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate: IOError: [Errno 2] No such file
or directory: '/usr/local/samba/private/dns_update_list'
file_server smbd daemon exited normally
task_server_terminate: [smbd child process exited]
/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_spnupdate: Traceback (most recent call last):
/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_spnupdate:   File
"/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_spnupdate", line 115, in <module>
/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_spnupdate:     sub_vars = get_subst_vars(samdb)
/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_spnupdate:   File
"/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_spnupdate", line 76, in get_subst_vars
/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_spnupdate:     vars['HOSTNAME']  =
samdb.host_dns_name()
/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_spnupdate:   File
"/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/samdb.py", line 595,
in host_dns_name
/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_spnupdate:     return res[0]['dNSHostName'][0]
/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_spnupdate: KeyError: 'No such element'
Failed to listen on 0.0.0.0:389 <http://0.0.0.0:389> -
NT_STATUS_ADDRESS_ALREADY_ASSOCIATED
ldapsrv failed to bind to 0.0.0.0:389 <http://0.0.0.0:389> -
NT_STATUS_ADDRESS_ALREADY_ASSOCIATED
task_server_terminate: [Failed to startup ldap server task]
failed to find our own NTDS settings DN
^C

When I just start it, the samba -V returns

Version 4.0.0

however, /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient --version return

session setup failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_SERVER_STATE

I appreciate the help. Truly. I am not a total noob. I have been using
System V Unix, HP-UX, and several flavors of Linux for over 20 years. I
like to at least pretend that I have some idea what is going on most of
the time.

But not this time.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!

Thank you for your time