Can samba mitigate the vulnerability of NT hashes?

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Wed Jan 9 15:47:54 MST 2013

On 01/09/2013 04:29 PM, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> Dave,
>
> There is information in my book about the settings used to force
> LMv2/NTLMv2 authentication.  Note that there is no negotiation, so the
> client in particular has to be configured to disallow v1.

Bother!  I was really rather hoping that we could offer only the "good
NTLMs" in a negotiation and thereby have the older clients behave securely.

Ah well, let us hope the MS sends a patch to make XP clients prefer the
more secure approach.

Thanks, Chris!

--dave (once more, a fact slays a wonderful, but incorrect, theory) c-b

(416) 223-8968