Problems joining a Windows 8 system to a Samba 4 domain

Mark Pilant lpilant at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 9 07:13:09 MST 2013

Hi Andrew.

> Check firewalls and port bindings.

Looks like this is the problem.  I took the "big hammer" approach and
disabled the firewalls on both the Windows 8 machine and the RHEL machine.
It was only after disabling the firewall on the RHEL machine that I was
able to get the username / password prompt to join the domain.  So the
question then becomes: which ports do I need to open.  I hope to be able to
figure this out by looking at the capture after a successful join.

Looking at the ICMP information, the "type" is "Destination unreachable"
and the "code" is "Host administratively prohibited".  The "good" thing
here is a firewall issue will save me having to look at the many thousands
of lines in the Samba log file (after I turned on all debugging:
debuglevel=15 :-)

> Can you try things like cloudshark.org ?

Matthieu, the issue is not a technical one.

Thank you for the help.

- Mark