I need some help with migration (from Apple OpenDirectory)

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 00:08:17 MST 2013

Hi

On 7 January 2013 23:38, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-01-06 at 16:06 +0400, Максим Мельников wrote:
>> Hello SambaTeam,
>>
>> I need to migrate users from Mac OS X 10.5 OpenDirectory with Samba Version 3.0.25b-apple as PDC to any Active Directory node, for example, using Samba4.
>> I want to avoid resetting the ACLs on all of our shared folders in the windows servers, there are a lot.
>> I tried to do the http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/samba-tool/domain/classicupgrade/HOWTO , "Upgrading on a New Server" and "Upgrading In Place" parts, but I didn't get source users in the new AD from *.tdb files.
>>
>> Can you give me some special HOWTOs or advices for this direction?
>
> I've CC'ed the only user who I know to have managed this.
>
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2010-April/thread.html#70554
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2010-August/thread.html#72944
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2011-November/thread.html#80418

My case was simpler than Maksim's.  I was not running Samba, and only
using OpenDirectory for authentication.  Maybe the information in the
above threads will help anyway.

>From the initial message it sounded like the classicupgrade "worked",
but there were no users?  I'm not sure what the upgrade does other
than import users, though.

What I did was basically get the passwords (arcfour-hmac-md5 keys)
from a dump file produced from the MIT Kerberos database used by
OpenDirectory and then create the users manually using ldbadd.  Maybe
that will work for Maksim too.

I'm not sure what else is needed for machines joined to the domain
etc., but I suspect they would be handled by the above method too.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>