Problems joining a Windows 8 system to a Samba 4 domain

Mark Pilant lpilant at us.ibm.com
Tue Jan 8 08:24:05 MST 2013

Hi Matthieu.

> no but it shouldn't be a blocker

OK.  I just wanted to make sure what I was seeing was real, and not just my
imagination :-)

> network trace the dialog try to analyze it

Unable to send the trace, but here is the exchange between the two systems;
it is fairly brief.

Starting off are two exchanges with a DNS query/response for the
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs... record (returning the computer name) and the
computer name (returning the IP address).  After that is a CLDAP search
request.  The CLDAP response is a little curious as it is reported by
Wireshark to be an ICMP message, although it does appear to contain the
CLDAP response.

About 20 seconds or so later there is another DNS query response for the
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs... record (again returning the computer name) and an
SMB Trans Request (\MAILSLOT\BROWSE, from the computer joining) and that is
the last exchange frame between the two computers.

- Mark