Problems setting up (fresh) Samba 4 installation

Mark Pilant lpilant at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 4 14:53:01 MST 2013

After flushing the RHEL system and building another, I have finally gotten
a fair measure of success.  By this, I mean I was able to create a share
and manipulate a file in the share.  However, I did have to make some SWAGs
about information not in the HOWTO.

First thing I found with the HOWTO, was section 11 concerning setting the
permissions.  The part regarding Bind failed because of missing files, but
I expect this is because I have Samba configured for the internal DNS.  If
not, then there are probably other things waiting to fail which I have not
found.

The second thing was having to open the firewall to allow the SMB traffic.
This resolved the problem where I could "see" the Samba system from a
Windows 7 system but could not mount the share.  After opening the
firewall, all was good.

I hope my troubles have added to (future) improvements of the HOWTO.

Thank you all for your help sorting this all out.

- Mark