Problems setting up (fresh) Samba 4 installation

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Thu Jan 3 10:00:10 MST 2013

On 03/01/13 16:42, Mark Pilant wrote:
> Hi Rowland.
>
> I set the forwarder to the host machine because the host machine is also
> the
> DNS server.  (If I try to go out on the web to visit various places, the
> pages
> show up correctly; which indicates the addresses are being resolved.)

Er, how can you forward the dns server to itself?

> I did try just copying the Samba private krb5.conf file to /etc/krb5.conf,
> but then
> Kerberos was unhappy.  (I can't remember the exact failures.)  What I did
> to get
> things "working" was to merge the Samba private krb5.conf with the "real"
> one.

You haven't installed a separate kerberos server, have you?

> Although, at the point where the SRV records should exist, Kerberos
> shouldn't
> come into the picture... correct?  (At least that is what I would get from
> reading
> the HOWTO.)
>
> - Mark

Possibly, but I have never tried it, but what about /etc/resolv.conf?
from what you say above about external addresses being resolved, makes
me think that this is where the problem lies. The computer should ask
the dns server to resolve the address and if it cannot, it then gets
forwarded to another external dns server to see if it can be resolved.
So if /etc/resolv.conf is set to ask the external dns server direct it
will by-pass the internal dns server and will get the required info, but
the external name server will know nothing about your samba 4 setup.

Rowland

believed to be clean.