Problems setting up (fresh) Samba 4 installation

Mark Pilant lpilant at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 3 08:34:38 MST 2013

Hi Bob.

> looking through your output I saw 192.168.122.1 ( makes me want to say
KVM virt might be involved in your troubles )

As I'm running RHEL in a VM, the 192.168.122.1 address is assigned to the
virbr0 interface.  (If it matters, I'm running the VM under Microsoft's
Hyper-V.  Other than the current Samba issues, the RHEL VM is workign
fine.)  This is one reason I explicitly set the host IP address on the
command line the later attempt at provisioning.

> Is libvirt installed and dnsmasq running?? ( usually installed by
default ) and if so do you need it? If not remove all the libvirt and
dnsmasq packages and that might clear up your troubles.

I'm not sure if it is needed for the VM environment in which RHEL is
running.  I'm going to try the same exercise on a separate system (bare
metal) running RHEL 6.3.

- Mark