How to check the replication frequency in a domain with multiple DCs?

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 12:20:17 MST 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Richard Sharpe
<realrichardsharpe at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> QA have found a problem where sometimes removing a Samba-based member
> server with 'net ads leave' fails with ENOENT.
>
> This is happening in a domain with two DCs and it looks like the
> problem is related to the fact that sometimes it tries to do the
> machine account delete on the DC that the join was not done on and the
> info has not yet replicated.
>
> Where can I check for the replication frequency etc in W2K08R2?

OK, I have found out how to change this:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816871(v=WS.10).aspx

However, this suggests that there is a bug in our net ads leave code.

Consider the following:

1. Administrator adds a new DC to the site. However, replication has
not yet occurred or has not yet completed to the new DC.

2. Someone tries to leave the domain from their Samba member server.
They get a list of DCs with the new DC first in the list.

3. Leave fails because that DC does not yet know about the member server.

Shouldn't we try the next DC in the case of a failure until we exhaust
all DCs or we get a success?

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe