samba within nfs, locking mechanism fails

Christopher R. Hertel crh at samba.org
Mon Feb 25 11:44:42 MST 2013

Vincenzo,

CTDB is only the solution if you have shared storage and a cluster file
system behind the two instances of Samba.

The configuration you have is a bit unusual.  If you consider the number of
semantic conversions that need to take place from the client to the ServerB
to ServerA and back again, you can see why we would discourage this kind of
setup.

With respect to the locking...  You need to have POSIX locking enabled if
there is going to be even a remote chance that this setup will appear to
work.  Samba itself manages SMB byte-range locks.  NFS has a locking daemon
that handles the kinds of byte-range locks you would need to use.

So... here's my best guess as to what happens when you lock a range from
clientB.

1) ClientB sends the lock request to ServerB.

2) ServerB (Samba) checks its internal table to see if the lock can be
    granted.  If not, it returns an error (END).

3) If the lock can be granted, Samba checks whether or not it can obtain
    a POSIX byte-range lock from the underlying file system (NFS).

    3a) The NFS lockd on ServerB has to ask the NFS lockd on ServerA
        whether or not the lock can be granted.
    3b) ServerA checks with the underlying local file system to see
        whether or not the lock can be granted.  Note that Samba
        running on ServerA will set byte-range locks as needed also.
        The byte-range locks on the local file system on ServerA are
        the final arbiter of lock availability.

   If the lock cannot be granted, an error is returned (END).

4) If the POSIX lock can be granted, then we go all the way back up the
    chain from the local FS on ServerA through NFS to Samba on ServerB
    (which sets the SMB lock) and then to ClientB.  ClientB is notified
    that it has a lock.

...and if that isn't complicated enough, keep in mind that Microsoft Office
products do some very, very odd things when opening files.  I don't know
enough about that to share the details, but it is possible (based on my weak
understanding of this aspect) that the two nodes are both opening copies of
the spreadsheet, and not the same spreadsheet at all.

Dave:

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org