[Samba] Samba4 pwdLastSet Attribute

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Mon Feb 18 20:18:35 MST 2013

On 02/15/2013 05:40 AM, Thomas Simmons wrote:
> Hello Matthieu,
>
> As I understand it, this is true for all versions of AD, however the only
> version I have to test with is W2K.
Well I don't think so Microsoft made a lot of important changes with
windows 2003 to correct many wrong decision that were made with the
first release of AD.

You can download a 3 or 6 month copy of windows 2008r2 or Windows 2012
to make some other tests.
>   Using ADUC and Samba4, if I reset a
> password with "user must change...", then go back into the users account
> tab and remove that check, the value gets set to -1. With this value, the
> user is not forced to change their password and the password will never
> expire. This problem was initially discovered by a script I wrote that
> emails users to notify of upcoming expiration - the -1 value threw off the
> arithmetic the script was doing to calculate the time remaining. I've not
> found a place where Microsoft explicitly states that pwdLastSet works this
> way, but both research and my own experience suggests this is how it works.
> Please see the following links:
>
> (Here a Microsoft MVP notes this behavior)
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/microsoft.public.adsi.general/qUfqhn0qb6M
>
> http://powergui.org/thread.jspa?messageID=48281
>
> (See the comments here)
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms679430%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
>
> Now mind you, I like the fact that in S4 I can arbitrarily set pwdLastSet
> to any valid timestamp, and I'm not concerned with that at all. My only
> concern is that Samba is not "auto-converting" the -1 into the current
> timestamp, which leaves the user account in a state where they can login
> and their password will never expire.
Ok, sorry I might have mis-understood the problem with the 0 and the -1.

Please fill a bug report explicitly speaking about the -1 case that
should be handled in a different way.

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou