getaddrinfo()-related replication problem on FreeBSD

Timur I. Bakeyev timur at com.bat.ru
Sat Feb 16 07:25:29 MST 2013

Hi, Andrew, Adriy!

This topic was brought to my attention as FreeBSD's Samba port maintainer
and I dug deeper into it.

Well, it's true that resolver on FreeBSD doesn't understand names, starting
with '_', but neither does resolver on Linux!

On IRC we tested small program that tries to resolve '_msdcs.samba.org.ru'
IN A record with getaddrinfo() and it fails on Debian6, SusE and CentOS as
well.

BTW, rep_getaddrinfo() isn't better in that sense either - it relies on
platform's gethostbyname() function, so will fail too.

Well, maybe, there is a platform that allows that(besides M$ Windows),
but definitely not even a majority of Linuxes.

So, now I'm wondering, where the original idea that such name resolution
has to be supported by getaddrinfo() comes from
and if replication works on Linux despite strict RFC compliance of
getaddrinfo() - what ACTUALLY wrong with replication on FreeBSD?

And, what additional measures do we need to take to make it work?

For the test feel free to try:

# ping _msdcs.samba.org.ru
# host _msdcs.samba.org.ru

With best regards,