MS Powerpoint won't open files off smaba share

Albert Fluegel af at muc.de
Wed Feb 13 08:56:45 MST 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 04:44:34PM +0100, samba-technical at lists.samba.org wrote:
> when opening files. Powerpoint apparently does some odd file
I guess the file is not owned by the opening account and read access is
granted by group or world permissions.

> modification time manipulations that other apps don't do. This causes a
> failure logged as: pvfs_setfileinfo: utimes() failed '/file/path/here' -
> Operation not permitted
According to my experience,
this phenomenon applies also for other Microsoft Office >= 7 software.
I don't know, whether this is addressed today by the samba software itself,
however can be handled using my samba runtime extension. Please see here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/samba-rx
for the workaround and more details about the problem.

Hope this helps,
 Albert Fluegel