Samba 4 Internal DNS

Bob Miller bob at computerisms.ca
Sat Feb 9 13:27:11 MST 2013

On Thu, 2013-02-07 at 13:10 -0600, matthew.phillips at theteemco.com wrote:
> I have recently set up a Samba 4 AD installation for testing.
>
> I am loving it so far, but I did come across one problem.
>
> Once I join the domain using a Windows 7 client, any time I visit my
> domain via the web browser
> it points me to the internal server. For instance my domain is ROUND
> and my realm is ROUNDCUBE.NET
> if I visit dev.roundcube.net I am forwarded to my local IP address of
> my samba 4 server. However I need
> all activity on port 80 for roundcube.net to be forwarded to the
> correct IP address out on the web.

In the case you describe where you want to access dev.roundcube.net, you
can just make an A record for the subdomain dev (using samba-tool) and
that subdomain will be directed outside the network.

In the event the page you want to access is roundcube.net and it is not
on you LAN, then you have no choice but to let your workstation be
directed to the DC.  You can get around that by installing apache on the
DC, and use mod_rewrite to redirect all requests for roundcube.net to
www.roundcube.net.  This will require you to configure your external
roundcube.net site with a ServerAlias www.roundcube.net, and will also
require you to configure your internal DNS with an A record for www
pointing to your external webserver.

Hope that helps...