CNAME Records

Zane Zakraisek doublezane at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 16:45:51 MST 2013

Hi, I've been getting to know Samba 4 for a little while now and I've
noticed that I can't access shares on my Samba server using a CNAME.

For instance, lets say I have a server named "exampleserver01", and created
a CNAME record referring to it as "es01". When I would enter "
\\es01.exampledomain.com" into my Windows file browser, it would bring up a
list of all my shares, just as it would if I were to type "
\\exampleserver01.exampledomain.com", but when I click on ANY of those
shares, I get a message saying that the share isn't accessible, or that I
might not have permission to open it. At the bottom of the error message it
says that "the parameter is incorrect".

I am using Samba 4.0.3 and am using the internal DNS server. When I do an
nslookup of the CNAME, it does bring up the correct A record, so I know
that DNS is working correctly.