Enabling ntdb?

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Thu Feb 7 21:57:09 MST 2013

Hi all,

        Andrew Bartlett grabbed me at linux.conf.au last week and asked
about ntdb.

        I have set of three patches which enable dbwrap_local_open to
open ntdb files (based on the extension).  So any dbwrap'ed db which you
can specify the name in the config file can become an ntdb file: if a
.tdb file exists it is converted and renamed to .tdb.bak, eg:

        samba version 4.1.0pre1-DEVELOPERBUILD started.
        Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2013
        Called with maxruntime 7500 - current ts 1360298796
        samba: using 'standard' process model
        Upgraded /home/rusty/samba/st/dc/private/secrets.ntdb from /home/rusty/samba/st/dc/private/secrets.tdb (which moved to /home/rusty/samba/st/dc/private/secrets.tdb.bak)

        I think this is the right "gently gently" approach: no magic
change to existing configs.  The next patch adds a "use ntdb" flag
(defaults to false), and then it's a matter of adding patches to change
default filenames when this is set (I've done secrets.tdb as a test, as
shown above).

See my ntdb branch:

        http://git.samba.org/rusty/samba.git/?p=rusty/samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ntdb

Is this the right way to go?  There are many more conversions to dbwrap
to go, but we can do them as we need to.  I also have a patch for ldb to
use ntdb, but it needs more work.

Thanks!
Rusty.