[Samba] Samba support for RODC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 6 14:51:13 MST 2013

On Fri, 2013-02-01 at 19:19 +0000, Gautam Balothia wrote:
> HI Samba Team,
>
> Can you please help me understanding the if i can join a samba3.x or
> 4.x as a member to Microsoft RODC server. This is a Windows 2008 RODC
> server. I have many issues while connecting samba to a RODC, looks
> like a common issue people are facing.
> I am able to connect 400 RHEL server using samba to Writable server
> but while connecting to RODC we have issues. Please let me know if you
> have any document available for this.

You should not force Samba to connect to a specific server, in the
smb.conf or krb5.conf.  Instead, it is best to let Samba find and work
with the best server it can locate for the task.  That is, you join
Samba to the domian, not a specific server.

I can't rule out that there may still be issues if we naturally contact
the RODC, but to debug that you need to get debug logs and a packet
capture and work with us to uncover the underlying issue.
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Capture_Packets