socket options

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Fri Feb 1 11:20:30 MST 2013

This is a common problem with os-version-specific options: they need to
be re-validated with every new release!  On Solaris, I've seen people
completely bodger the paging by using options that are no longer needed
(or wanted), but were useful in older releases.

I'd say that socket options
- can seriously reduce performance is mis-chosen, and
- are documented in the wiki

and then create a page with the settings people used successfully and
unsuccessfully, ordered by OS and release.

--dave

On 02/01/2013 01:01 PM, Ira Cooper wrote:
> I never denied you can shoot yourself in the foot with them.
>
> deprecated == going to remove at some point.
>
> If you have a proposed doc update with a warning about changing them, and
> their potential to have a massive negative impact on performance.  That
> sounds quite reasonable.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Ira
>

> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Ricky Nance <
> ricky.nance at weaubleau.k12.mo.us> wrote:
>
>> I didn't say remove, just mark it as a 'non favored' or 'depreciated'
>> option. Again, in some situations I am sure they are great, but in some it
>> seems to drop the connection speed by about 1800% (is that the right math?
>> 5mb/s with socket options, 90 mb/s without?). I am really looking more for
>> suggestions (opening a discussion) on what to do with the option rather
>> than changing something right away.
>>
>> Ricky
>>

>> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Ira Cooper <ira at samba.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not in favor of removing them, because we actually use them for
>>> "good".  Like proper tuning, TCP Keep Alive durations, etc.  They are an
>>> important part of getting the server "right" for us.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> -Ira

>> --

(416) 223-8968