samba4 in a windows AD forest

bcag2 at free.fr bcag2 at free.fr
Tue Dec 17 03:23:30 MST 2013

Hello,

I manage the network in a small research laboratory (20 people) wich are in a large research institute. Quite all laboratories of this intitute are in a forest managed with windows AD servers and DNS bind servers.

In my lab, we bought a new server (Power Edge T620) to create a DC (we don't have one right now) and improve files sharing.
I installed ubuntu 12.04, removed samba3 that I used to make first file sharing tests and compiled samba 4.1.1

I am going to traduce your how to on french ubuntu documentation web site : http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/utilisateurs/bcag2/samba4

I have attached a network diagram and the extract of provisioning

When I tried to run samba, I have
Failed to bind to 0.0.0.0: 53 TCP - NT_STATUS_ADDRESS_ALREADY_ASSOCIATED I don't understand well interactions with DNS server. I have no DNS in my lab, the DNS I used is on "partner lab" (illustrate in diagram). I think I should declare DNS backend BIND9_DLZ but at https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Dns-backend_bind I read
"Configuring Bind as Samba Active Directory backend

    * Note: Bind must be installed on the same machine as samba."

Could you clarify? May I used the DNS of my "partner lab" ?
Otherwise, may I continue to use their DNS and run Samba4 without join the forest? ... or must I use Windows Server :-(

Thanks for any help .

Regards

Bertrand (bcag2)