Someone who worked on MRXSMB1 claims that there is no command timeout for CIFS/SMB1

Christopher R. Hertel crh at samba.org
Sat Dec 14 20:41:23 MST 2013

On 12/14/2013 04:28 PM, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Does anyone have any evidence that there was a command timeout for CIFS/SMB1?

In the Windows 9x/Me source code there is an internal queue.  If I recall
correctly, the queue is scanned every few seconds looking for uncompleted
commands.  There is a timestamp on the each command in the queue, and there
is a value (I think it's 60 seconds) that must be exceeded before the
command is considered to have timed out.

...but it has been years since I reviewed that code and the details are
fuzzy in my head.  I would pose the question to Microsoft, but remind them
that there is, definitely, a client-side command queue.  It's the kind of
thing that you really truly have to look for.  It's fairly compact in the
code, and I don't recall what the WindowsNT family does in this regard.

Oh... and there *should* be some sort of Windows Behavior Note about this
referenced from section 3 in the doc.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org