Samba VFS_WORM module

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Fri Dec 6 14:00:08 MST 2013

Hello Richard,

Am 06.12.2013 21:35, schrieb Richard Sharpe:
 > Can't you already do that with the appropriate DACL? That is, you set
 > an inheritable OWNER RIGHTS ACE with the correct things and a correct
 > CREATOR OWNER entry?

Maybe some general functions can done through ACLs, too. But not
everything the new module provides.

One of the main reason for the development was, that we need the grace
period feature, that allows the users to put files on a share, to be
able to do modifications for a short while. This includes renaming the
file or moving it to a different subfolder. Not always users do the
right thing directly on their first try. And we don't want to have a
chaos data grave on our archive :-)

The module hooks up to all write operations, that includes ACL changes,
etc. So all content of the share is acting like a normal share. All ACLs
are repected, etc. But if the ctime is older than now()-grace period,
then it is handled read-only - regardless if the ACL would allow write
access.

Volker wrote the module. Maybe he can give some more technical information.

Regards,
Marc