Smbd service can not start

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 18:45:48 MST 2013

Hi Yingtian,

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM, yingtian jiao <jiaoyingtian at nrchpc.ac.cn>wrote:

> Hello All
>
> I would like to build a testing enviroment using 'ctdb v2.5' and 'samba
> v4.1' on CentOS 6.3, but after intalling all packages successfully the
> 'sernet-samba-smbd' service could not be started. And I found the following
> error in log.smbd
> *   [2013/12/02 15:42:32,  1]
> ../source3/lib/ctdbd_conn.c:221(ctdbd_connect)*
>
> *                      connect(/tmp/ctdb.socket) failed: Permission denied*
>
> *         [2013/12/02 15:42:32,  2]
> ../source3/lib/messages.c:214(messaging_init)*
>
> *            messaging_ctdbd_init failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED*
>

> I executed 'chmod 777 /tmp/ctdb.socket', but still not work. Then I
> executed '/usr/sbin/smbd -D', and successfully.
>

> Any body met this issue before?

I would recommend using CTDB 2.5.1.  It has few important bug fixes.

Since CTDB 2.5, the default socket location has changed from /tmp to
/var/run/ctdb.  You should use that instead of the older configuration of
using /tmp/ctdb.socket.  For pre-compiled samba RPMs, you will need
additional samba configuration "ctdbd socket =  /var/run/ctdb/ctdbd.socket".

You usually don't need to change the permissions of CTDB socket since Samba
is run as root, it can access the socket.

Can you provide strace output when it fails?  You can start samba manually
as "strace -f -o /tmp/smbd.strace /usr/sbin/smbd -i -F"

Amitay.