The Wrapper Project

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Dec 2 14:21:04 MST 2013

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 12:15:08PM -0500, Simo wrote:

> The point is that we are not good at maintaining external code once you
> suck it in the tree.

IMHO The point Simo is making above is the most important
one in this discussion.

We have pulled in external code, Heimdal, popt, zlib
and WE DON'T KEEP IT UP TO DATE.

Long term, this is a disaster for maintenance. We
don't want to be doing our own fixes to this code,
we need to rely on upstream maintainers, just as
downstream consumers of our code rely on us.

Yes, I understand the need for Heimdal and some
very specific use cases when we're experimenting,
but the goal should be to push upstream and move
to external maintainers as soon as we can get the
fixes we need upstream.

Yes it's comfortable to have our own copies in
the tree, and allows us to be lazy, but we
really need to be better than that.

If Andreas is developing this as a separate
module to be useful to other projects, which
seems to be the case, then we should use whatever
technology works (git submodules, etc - I don't
really care) in order to separate these things
out.

Just my 2 cents on this (which as I'm not going
to be doing the work to move these things out-of
-tree people can feel free to ignore :-). However
I won't stand in the way of people actively working
to move things out of tree, and I will object
strongly if we try and absorb more external code
into Samba :-).

Jeremy.