How do I query Samba (sam.ldb, other types of values - kerboros, auditing)

luke morrison luc785 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 23 14:58:10 MDT 2013

Hello there,
My name is Luke Morrison from Google Summer of Code. So my project is being implemented and works like the DNS updates in that it scans sysvol every X minutes (changeable through smb.conf), and reads all the Group Policy Objects and tries to find one important, if so updates Samba.
Although more features are coming, this is the basic outline. So I want to make it cool now. I want to make it really useful, and I need some help. There are about roughly..........50-75 GPO's that "could" matter to Samba at the moment. And there are about 20 GPO's that "should" matter to Samba. Although there are thousands of possible GPO's most of them are fancy windows configuration stuff like screensaver, windows media stuff that Linux user do not care about. These are the ones I care about right now. Stuff like Kerboros default ticket ages, auditing logs (if supported in Samba), event auditing, and basic stuff like locking out user for getting X password fails. Enclosed are a few things (my question is really just in the enclosed file) that I would like to know how to query.
Really all I need is a couple commands to query the database. Maybe couple choices for the various kinds of possible configurations I can snoop through. Then I can use LDAP mapping to have my service apply to Samba, and keep the Samba 4 DC clients well aware of GPO's that should be applied to them:). However as a standalone service, it seems to work quiet well so far, I just need to fill it out. I accidently locked myself out of my DC because I made a policy that has a password age of .25 seconds the other day, so this is a good sign :)
Please see attached file for more information ,
Best Regards,
Luke MorrisonMaking Samba 4 DC clients awareGoogle Summer of Code 2013