vfs_shadow_copy2 configuration

Dan Cohen1 DANCOH at il.ibm.com
Thu Aug 22 03:29:20 MDT 2013

Hi,

I had some problems with vfs_shadow_copy2 where I couldn't see my
snapshots in the windows "Restore previous versions"  tab.
After some debugging I realized that the shadow:snapdir parameter does not
support absolute paths anymore.
I saw this post https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2013-May/173098.html
regarding this issue but this still raise the question: is this a bug or
is it an intended behavior?
I couldn't find any ticket regarding this issue in the bugzila and this is
not documented in the man page or in the code. Actually the comment in the
head of the vfs_shadow_copy2.c file still states that absolute paths are
supported with shadow:snapdir.
Also, in the same matter, after looking at the code it seems  that
shadow:basedir is not in use anymore. Again this is not documented. And
again my question: is this a bug or is in purpose? (or am I missing
something?)

Thanks,
Dan Cohen
IBM - XIV, Israel