Removing the developers guide

Wed Aug 21 22:39:27 MDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 01:12:55PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 09:50:18PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 10:14:29AM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> > > Stepping up to my soapbox, I would also prefer that all VFS requests
> > > return NTSTATUS results :-)
> >
> > We could do that, sure. It changes the nature of the posix
> > piece of the VFS. Given that we are far away from a clean
> > posix VFS though, maybe it's time. The idea of a global
> > errno is flawed anyway.
>
> Works for me. So long as we allow easy replacement
> of POSIX-style open/read/write/close and don't
> make them as complex as windows internal calls then
> them returning an NTSTATUS isn't such a burdon.

No, we still need simple open, mkdir, etc. We could ditch
read and write, we have pread/pwrite. But what we could do
is to immediately after the syscall request a

if (ret == -1) {
	return map_nt_error_from_unix(errno);
}
return NT_STATUS_OK;

which also minimizes the time errno has to be saved. We had
several bugs already where errno was overwritten by a hidden
syscall, so I would consider this a good thing. However, I'm
not sure we really have valid 1:1 mappings for all possible
errno values. The risk that we lose semantics is my only
worry here.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de