Removing the developers guide

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Aug 21 15:05:43 MDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-08-21 at 15:30 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 08:26:14AM -0400, David Collier-Brown wrote:
> > A quick scan by a team member with a (symbolic) red pencil in hand might
> > do two things:
> > 1 - identify things that one shouldn't depends upon
> > 2 - identify sections for a GSOC or other volunteer to update!
> >
> > I'd really prefer to NOT lose the guide.
> Which parts of the developers guide have you found useful?
>
> Jelmer

That's the real issue here.  As far as can be told from the git history,
only one person has read the guide in 5 years.  I know this sounds bold,
but given that any read of much of our older documentation generally
quite quickly finds clearly erroneous statements or just bad spelling,
and only one such patch (not based on git grep when changing/dropping a
feature) has landed.

There may well be great information hidden, but it's exactly that,
hidden.  I wonder if Richard even noticed the existing VFS guide when he
wrote his new one, for example.

As I indicated in my other mail, I think Jelmer's suggestions on what to
gut and what to move to inline documentation is the best response.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Catalyst IT                   http://catalyst.net.nz