Removing the developers guide

Jon Knight J.P.Knight at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Aug 21 10:06:15 MDT 2013

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> But the only way to tell if a bit of advise is out of date or not is to
> already know the answer, a new developer would be overwhelmed, and the
> rest of us just never read it.

As someone relatively new to Samba internals what I'd find most useful is
a simple description of what each VFS module call is supposed to do (ie
what each parameter is, information about where to find struct
layout information, etc).

Coming "cold" into coding a VFS module there's a fair amount of
guessing/hacking/reading other VFS implementations required, even once
you've gone through Richard's excellent VFS primer (which is great and
should definitely be kept!).  VFS seems to be a pretty important area that
new coders are going to latch onto to extend and interface to Samba, and
that will suck them into internals (whether as part of debugging their own
code or because a new VFS module may expose or tickle bugs deeper in the
surrounding Samba code occasionally).

I'd say a Wiki might help keep this information up to date as folk could
add information that they'd found helpful whilst getting to grips with
Samba.  I know there's quite a bit of stuff sloshing around in my head
that I should really find time to write down for future reference (both
for others and myself!).